Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Checkmate photo's and some yummy yarn

The Checkmate sweater is coming along really well. I finished the second sleeve last night, now I am working on the shawl collar. The pattern is.... interesting.

Cast on 134 stitches O_o
Row 1: P1, K2 (P2, K2) 10 times, (P3, K2) 9 times, P3, (K2,P2) 10 times, K2, P1
(the first row made my mind melt, just a little bit. All that chaning in ribbing and keeping track of how many stitches to do how many times....)
Row 2: K1, P2 (K2, P2) 10 times, (K3, P2) 9 times, K3, (P2,K2) 10 times, P2, K1
(so basically the opposite of the first row.... this is how you make ribbing, duh. pretty easy since the first row is already done, you just knit the purls and purl the knit)
Row 3 & 4: Repeat 1st & second rows once more (again, easy to follow)
Row 5: P1, K2 (P2, K2) 10 times, (P3, K2) 9 times, P3, (K2,P2) 10 times, K2, P1 (row 1 again, easy)
Row 6: K1, P2 (K2, P2) 10 times, (K2tog, K1, P2) 9 times, K2tog, K1, (P2, K2) 10 times, P2, K1. You will now have 124 sts on the needle
(decreasing in ribbing.... argh!)
Next Row: P1, K2, *P2, K2, repeat from * to last st, P1
Next Row: K1, P2 *K2, P2, repear from * to last st, K1
Last 2 rows will now be referred to as 2x2 rib. Continue in 2x2 rib until collar measured 4in/10cm, finishing after as WS row.
Cast off in rib.

So, the first row was just hard to get my head around, possibly due to Miley Cyrus singing on my computer. After some intense concentration (and the song finishing) it got a lot easier. Now I am trying to wrap my head around the decrease row (row 6). Should be.... fun. I hope the phone doesn't ring, I might fly off the handle at that person who breaks my concentration. ^_^

Did I mention that once I have finished the collar, I only have to sew it all up and it done? :D

I'm already thinking about the next pattern I'm going to knit. A pair of longies with the gorgeous Goodmama yarn in the "First Love" colourway, with a big chunky cable running down the outside of each leg. Still planning the pattern in my head, lol. However, I need to buy some trim yarn first. Still deciding what colour I am going to go with, and what brand. I think Cleckheaton have just released a new range of 12 ply yarns; Wide? Sounds like a visit to Simply Stitches is in order.

You want to see photo's? Ok, you twisted my arm :P

Ok, so this is all the pieces that I have knit of the jumper... all laid out flat so that you can see how big each piece is.


This one shows what the jumper will look like after it's been put together... except the collar is not finished yet, but bear with me. It's the wee little bit on the needles, right up the top.



The Goodmama/Selah "First Love" yarn in bulky weight. OMG I love this photo. I've finally figured out how to turn off auto focusing on my DSLR and I am very happy with the results. I went 100% manual to take this photo, as my subject was nice and still, for once. (Pssst, I've been mainly using Aperture priority mode or partial Manual control, tweaking the F stops or White Balance)



For you photography techy friends:
Olympus E-420
Lens: 14-42mm (my only one for now.... *sad*)
ISO 200
F 3.9
Flash: Nevar!!!!! :p
WB: Indoor lighting (fluoroescent)
Manual focus length: 18mm
No photoshopping except for a crop and resize

The amount of fun that I had taking this photo is equal to the yumminess of the yarn. I should take photo's of my whole yarn stash, but I'm kinda lazy.

3 comments:

Mrs Tessyman said...

When did goodmama start doing yarn? It's so gorgeous! The sweater is looking good :)

Kate said...

It sounds liek you're learning your digi SLR. Well done you - I'm still using a point and shoot!

My friend at Becky et al is a mad keen digi SLR photographer. She got really good with her camera through a whole lot of assignments from a blog. Do you want me to check with her where the links are? Or would you like to contact her yourself (her link is on my sidebar).

Kylie said...

Yarn looks great - but you my dear need to start sorcing some Aussie supplys and stop spending money on postage. LOL - ask me - I have a whole heap of contacts or jump on Rav and the MCN Group that I chat on.

Oh and there is a pattern for a pair of longies with a cable - free on rav as well

You might also like.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails